How to Make Study Notes - Outline Notes
There are lots of effective ways to make study notes but the most important thing to remember is that most of your learning comes from making the notes rather than reading over them afterwards (or being given them by a grind school). Actively figuring out what the important concepts are and how they are connected is what its all about. Some popular and effective types of notes are:
- Outline notes
- Mind maps
Things that work well
If you are wondering how to improve your notes, consider the following things:
- Order - organising the information in your mind is learning
- Titles - you'll have lots of notes, make sure you can find them
- Summarise - figuring out exactly what's important is learning
- Neatness- easier to read over but slowing down a little when making your notes gives your brain more time to process the ideas
- Examples - our brains love examples, that's why there are examples of all of this below
- Diagrams - many concepts are much easier to picture than to explain in words
Examples from our own students
Click on each image to see a gallery of outline notes produced by students in St Colmcille's CS.
Not all are perfect but all are better than sitting back and reading the book. The interesting question is which examples are better and why?